We move a lot and and we always have to find a way to turn a rental into a comfortable home where our girls can feel safe, happy, loved and encouraged. We work hard to make our home meet all those needs. At times I must admit I look around our home and think it’s a bit too cluttered but everything , well mostly everything, in our home is helping us develop strong, God loving, beautiful from the inside, intelligent girls.
To do this there are 5 things I always try to build into our home to help build a foundation for our girls.
1. We fill the our home with photos of them. There are pictures throughout our house of our girls from birth to present. This helps them to know they are part of a family and home. When you have to make a home every couple of years it is very important to own the new space. Knowing a new place is your home takes time and having familiar pictures of yourself helps that process move along.
2. We personalize their spaces. I use my Cricut and personalize their rooms with what they like and with encouraging words to help build where they are weak. L is a happy child who at times needs encouraging words to reassure that she is wonderfully made. A on the other hand A knows she’s wonderfully made and gets easily irritated with others and have to be reminded to choose happy.
3. We surround then with God’s love for them and word of affirmation. If they see, hear and live it constantly then they’ll believe and be it.
4. We display their work and achievements. Nothing can make a child feel better than being able to have their hard work admired by their loved ones. At one point we had drawings all over our walls, we have created wall space for their work in their rooms and showcase a few in our living spaces.
5. We invite and welcome God into our home. His words are all around us. We speak his promises into our girls, we pray together and give him thanks. We don’t keep our bibles and Christian books high up on shelves they are around us. We read them together we talk about them we make an effort to make Him the head of our home.
We create and buy items to make our home. We don’t spend a huge amount of money doing it. I find great things at places like bargain stores and craft shops. I often will search things on Pinterest and if I can’t afford to buy it then I try to make my own version. I’ve learned you can do anything if you try.
There are no guarantees in life and providing the above does not guarantee anything but we pray that we are providing them with a foundation built on strong self worth and faith. A foundation that will always allow them to have something to stand and grow on. I would love to hear about what you do to make your house a home.